Definition of Solar PV
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) is a technology that converts sunlight into direct current electricity by using semiconductors. When the sun hits the semiconductor within the PV cell, electrons are freed and form an electric current.
How Solar Panels are made?
Cadmium Telluride (CdTe)
Copper Indium Gallium Selenide (CIGS)
Thin-film solar panels are made by placing a few thin layers of photovoltaic over one another to makes the module. There are a couple of various kinds of thin-film solar panels, and the way by which they differ from one another comes down to the material utilized for the PV layers. The sorts are as per the following:
- Amorphous silicon
- Cadmium telluride
- Organic PV cells
- Copper indium gallium selenide
How PV Systems Work
Grid-connected PV System
Grid-connected PV System with Batteries
Off-grid PV System
Advantage of Solar PV
- PV panels provide clean – green energy. During electricity generation with PV panels, there is no harmful greenhouse gas emissions thus solar PV is environmentally friendly.
- Solar energy is the energy supplied by nature – it is thus free and abundant!
- Solar energy can be made available almost anywhere there is sunlight
- Solar energy is especially appropriate for smart energy networks with distributed power generation – DPG is indeed the next-generation power network structure!
- Solar panels cost is currently on a fast reducing track and is expected to continue reducing for the next years – consequently, solar PV panels have indeed a highly promising future both for economical viability and environmental sustainability.
- Photovoltaic panels, through the photoelectric phenomenon, produce electricity in a direct electricity generation way.
- Operating and maintenance costs for PV panels are considered to be low, almost negligible, compared to the costs of other renewable energy systems.
- PV panels have no mechanically moving parts, except in cases of sun-tracking mechanical bases; consequently, they have far fewer breakages or require less maintenance than other renewable energy systems (e.g. wind turbines).
- PV panels are totally silent, producing no noise at all; consequently, they are a perfect solution for urban areas and for residential applications.
- Because solar energy coincides with energy needs for cooling, PV panels can provide an effective solution to energy demand peaks – especially in hot summer months where energy demand is high.
- Though solar energy panels’ prices have seen a drastic reduction in the past years, and are still falling, nonetheless, solar photovoltaic panels are one of the major renewable energy systems that are promoted through government subsidy funding (FITs, STCs, other tax credits, etc.); thus the financial incentive for PV panels make solar energy panels an attractive investment alternative.
- Residential solar panels are easy to install on rooftops or on the ground without any interference to residential lifestyle.